Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Hidden lesson? Discovered in 3Rs!

I was asked if I will be talking about the basics of 3Rs, that is, "Reduce, Re-Use and Recycle", when I teach the children how to create lanterns out of egg cartons.

It then dawned on me that the lanterns will not be used just to enlighten their forthcoming mid-autumn festive night walk-about. As I teach them to create, I will take this opportunity to impress upon them that I enjoy working with my imagination to "create something out of nothing". To be able to do the same, all they have to do is develop a habit of looking at the things they have around them with 3Rs in mind and with the knowledge they have already acquired, see how they could make use of them.

With this impressed upon their young minds, I hope that when they start blaming their parents or others for the things they lack, they will remember this lantern making lesson and figure out other ways to attain what they want.

So, did they create anything usable? See for yourself.








A very handy piece for decorating lanterns?



Want to see more pictures? Check out the comments posted on the blog of one of the mothers who have participated with her children.

Look out for my free tutorials in the next posting.

No comments: